What are successful for-profit and not-for-profit organizations doing to recruit and retain valued talent and knowledge?
At this year’s annual RecruitDC Conference in May, panels of Chief Human Resource executives from successful firms and organizations gave some great ideas on this topic. Here are 10 Recruiting and Retention Tips that I found helpful. Hope they’re helpful for you, too.
1. Empower your workforce to use social media to broadcast what they do/like about their work and their employer.
2. Cultivate your corporate culture to be known as an employer of choice.
3. Use employee referral campaigns to recruit and hire.
4. Do formal exit interviews – use outside source; have source stay in touch with “regrettable talent losses” every few months to see if you might hire them back.
5. Post all jobs including executive jobs so your current employees know and can apply.
6. Keep work employees do challenging; don’t let employees or the work they do get stale.
7. Focus on wellness, engagement and recognition programs for all.
8. Good HR policies/practices should be things that benefit every population.
9. Use strategic methods of recruiting, e.g. Skype for interviews.
10. Watch variable costs, prioritize spending, perhaps use savings for internal morale events during hard times.